6.13.2010

rooms.


if you, for some reason, had to leave your house for a long time and had only a minute to grab what you wanted to take... what would you take??
we could probably grab very few things & be fine without the rest.

as i unpacked my suitcase for my 7 week life here in hawaii i realized that i actually have everything i need to live (besides food & water, of course).
when it comes to material things its crazy how many unnecessary things we have. the clothes & shoes in my closet here, for example, are not even a fourth the clothes & shoes in my closet at home.
have you ever just thought about how much stuff we have? in our living rooms, offices, garages, closets, kitchens, storage rooms, bedrooms, laundry rooms, bathrooms, sheds, etc.
when some people live with hardly anything and they are happy & don't seem to feel that they are missing anything.
my room in spain & now my room in hawaii has hardly anything in it but i am content with what i have.
i know we are blessed to have so much stuff but sometimes i think our lives just have too much stuff. i guess its just important to try to keep our lives simple so we don't get lost in all that stuff.
*the first picture is my room here in hawaii, the second picture was my room in spain, and the third is my room at home sweet home

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the pictures--now i can picture where you are. This is a constant dilemma in my life-Susanna Bowser and I discuss it often, think of our two different lifestyles :-) After living out of a suitcase for the past week, I thought the same thing as you posted. But----the big but... establishing a home, a place of beauty, a gathering place for friends and family...a home to come home to, is also important and it is a lot of work and sacrifice. It requires "things" sometimes unnecessary things, but design elements makes us comfortable, ask Jessica. It is all about that elusive balance. Well now I have to go move all my "stuff" so the carpet cleaner can get it. Oh the never ending dilemma...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just goes to show you that having things isn't what truly makes us happy in life! It's what we are inside and how we love and serve others that truly makes us happy!

    ReplyDelete