9.28.2010

when i grow up..

this semester i am taking three classes for my major:
{intro. to elementary education}
{health in elementary school}
{dance in elementary school}

i am loving them all. through out past semesters i've sometimes thought to myself, "am i sure i want to be an elementary school teacher?" because the average college student changes their major three times. and so far... i haven't changed mine even once. i guess that is a good thing but i just want to make sure i really want to do that the rest of my life so that i don't waste my time earning a degree in it if not. it is kind of scary that we can only choose one thing to major in that will take us to our career that we will most likely have for a looong time (i know you can double major but.... no thank you). these classes (although they are a lot of work for being low credit classes) have assured me that this is what i want to do.

ever since i was a little girl i wanted to be a teacher. i always played school with my little brothers or neighbor friends and i always had to be the teacher. i interned in a 3rd grade and kindergarten class my senior year of high school and this semester i'm doing field observation work in a 2nd grade and soon a 6th grade class (mikayla's to be exact, i'm excited). i even got to teach a health lesson to the cute little 2nd graders today. 
i felt like i was doing exactly what i've always wanted to do.
the other day, the children were all sitting on the "reading rug" while mrs. bennett read them a story and i was just looking at each of the students. some had torn jeans, bed hair, & dirty faces. then others looked like their parents took them right out of a fashion magazine. some of them are slow readers and some i have to sit by during math so they can keep up with the class. others are always finishing first. one of them comes to school starving every day and mrs. bennett secretly feeds them a snack. others parents probably make them a healthy full-coarse breakfast. each of them have different personalities and different needs. and i just thought about how much i want to be that person to help them learn and grow to be the best they can be. to make them feel like they are important and can do anything they set their minds to.
i feel like there isn't a job more rewarding. plus, how fun would it be to have a classroom with your name on the door that you can decorate however you want. you can have your own desk & a whole blank white board to yourself to write all over. and maybe, just maybe.... one of my students will bring me an apple (hehe).
i still have at least three years until that were to happen. but i'm excited to get into my actual major soon & be done with these generals!

5 comments:

  1. Linz, if I've said it once I've said it a thousand times, YOU'RE AMAZING! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I wish I had you for my Third grade teacher. I would love seeing your pretty outfits everyday. College is going to fly by! It's crazy that I was in you position not to long ago. Just enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha! This is Jessica NOT John. I don't think he would have cared what his teacher was wearing. He was too focused on his fractions:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It almost makes me wish I had more kids so that I could send them to your class--maybe I could still send RoboBaby! You will make an amazing teacher someday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay linz! you are too cute! i know you will be the best teacher and I hope that my kids will get you as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete